Leave a gift in your will

Leaving a gift in your will (also known as a ‘bequest’ or ‘legacy’) can make a real difference to  support women in crisis.

The best way to arrange a bequest is to speak to your solicitor. They can ensure your estate is distributed in a way that meets your wishes. How you choose to leave a bequest depends on your personal preference or circumstances.

Types of bequests

As a guide, the most common types of bequests include:

  • Residuary – This gift consists of the remainder of your estate once your family and friends have been provided for and any taxes and charges are settled.
  • Percentage/fractional – This is a gift in the form of a specified percentage of your estate.
  • Specific/pecuniary – This is a gift in the form of a specified amount of money, item of property or stocks and shares.
  • By nominating Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Women’s Shelter as the beneficiary of a non-superannuation life insurance policy.


The correct wording

If you wish to make a bequest to the Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Women’s Shelter, it is important to include the correct wording in your will:


I give to Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Women’s Shelter (ABN 49 735 037 904):

Ο The rest and residue of my Estate or

Ο _________ percent of my Estate or

Ο _________ percent of the residue of my Estate or

Ο The sum of  $_________________________

free of all duties and testamentary expenses for its general purposes and
I direct that the receipt of that organisation shall be sufficient discharge
to my executors for this bequest.


While you can write your own will, we strongly advise you to engage a legal professional who can ensure all details and considerations have been taken into account. This is especially the case if you wish to consider an endowment. You can find a solicitor through The Law Society of NSW.


Please let us know

Whichever way you choose, we are so very grateful for your support. We encourage you to advise us of your intention, so we may properly thank you today and ensure we honour your wishes in the future. You can do this by using this form (click to download).

%d bloggers like this: